This variation on a favorite adds just a little twist to the classic angel food cake.
½ c flour
½ c cocoa powder
1 ½ c sugar, divided
½ tsp salt
12 egg whites
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, 3/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 tsp salt. Set aside.
2. Beat egg whites with lemon juice, vanilla, and 1/4 tsp salt. Add 3/4 cup of sugar in a slow streamand beat until whites hold stiff, glossy peaks,
3. Add the flour mixture to the whites and beat on low speed until just blended.
4. Spoon batter into an ungreased tube pan.
5. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
6. Cool completely. Run knife around the cake to loosen it.