Whether you call this dish Arroz Con Pollo or Oshpolo, this dinner is bound to be a warm and comforting hit on a cold winter night.
6-8 bone in, skinned, chicken thighs
1 large onion, diced
3 large carrots, shredded
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups of uncooked rice
4 cups of water
Oil for pan frying/sautéing
Salt and pepper, to taste
A pan wide enough and deep enough to hold it all.
- Over medium heat, heat the oil and pan fry the chicken on both sides — about 5 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from the pan.
- In the same chicken renderings, sauté the onions, carrot and garlic until lightly caramelized.
- Add the rice and return the chicken to the pan (top side down).
- Add your seasonings.
- Raise the heat so that the water starts to boil. Once boiling, turn your heat down to simmer and cover the pan.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Keep an eye on your pot. You’ll know it’s ready when the rice is fully cooked.
- Serve with a fresh side salad.