Yes, you read that right. Fried black eyed peas. My friend Mosh is a FABULOUS cook. He’s incredibly fun and creative about the dishes he prepares. He takes the simplest foods and turns them into something dynamic. Like these Black Eyed Peas — who would have thought these simple beans could taste SO good? Serve them as hors d’oeuvres before a meal, pack them as a snack in your kids’ lunches, or have them out just to munch on when the guys are over to watch the football game.
1 lb dried black-eyed peas
Olive oil (for frying)
Kosher (or sea) salt
1. Soak peas in water to cover by an inch overnight
2. Drain peas and allow to dry for 4-8 hours or overnight
3. In large, heavy pot (or deep fryer), heat olive oil to 350 degrees.
4. Working in batches, add peas to oil and fry until just before they stop bubbling, about 8 minutes.
WARNING: the oil will bubble vigorously after adding the peas so be sure pot is large enough to prevent oil from over-flowing. Also, some of the peas will “pop” causing hot oil to splatter; make sure to use a splatter guard or a vented cover on top of the pot.
5. Remove peas from oil, drain on paper towels, and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt.
6. Store in an airtight container.