Gone are the days of boiling, shaping and jarring homemade gefilte fish. Frozen gefilte fish is the way to go! At our house, it’s rare to find a loaf of boiled gefilte fish on our Shabbat or Yom Tov table. Try serving your gefilte fish breaded and fried — your family will thank you and ask for more!
Yields: 12-15 patties
1 loaf of your favorite brand of frozen gefilte fish, defrosted
1/3 c matzoh meal + ½ c matzoh meal (for breading)
oil for frying
1. Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat.
2. Mash up the defrosted gefilte fish. Add egg. Stir in 1/3 cup matzoh meal.
3. Measure ½ cup matzoh meal in a separate bowl.
4. Form fish mixture into patties and roll in matzoh meal mixture.
5. Place in oil and fry until lightly browned.
6. Flip patties over until other side is lightly browned as well.
Note: On holidays, when a fire can remain lit, you can prepare these patties right before the meal.