What goes in your Hamantaschen?
Growing up, there was only one thing that went into our Hamantaschen and that was strawberry jam. No other filling dared enter my mother’s kitchen. Our celebration of Purim was strictly strawberry. And while I have broadened my Hamantaschen horizons, a strawberry Hamantaschen will forever be my go-to Purim treat. But in the spirit of the holiday and to encourage some diversity, here is our list of Hamantaschen fillings:
- Jams and jellies: strawberry, raspberry and apricot always top the list.
- Poppy seed filling
- Date spread
- Chocolate chips
- Apple butter with chopped raisins and walnuts.
- Quick cheat: any fruity pie filling
- Peanut butter and strawberry jam (layer peanut butter on the bottom).
- Peanut butter and chocolate (layer peanut butter on the bottom).
- Chocolate spread
Quick tip: The base of each Hamantaschen should be measured out by the mouth of a glass. That circle-shape is ideal for a Hamantaschen. Make sure you don’t overstuff the Hamantaschen. 1 teaspoon of filling is usually more than enough for each Hamantaschen.