A perfect Sunday breakfast for you and your family.
1 loaf of bread (French, Italian, old challah, whole wheat rolls, etc)
1½ tsp cinnamon
1 ½ c milk
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp vanilla
½ c white sugar
¼ c flour
½ c butter
½ c brown sugar
½ c milk
2 tsp vanilla
Optional: sliced apple
- Cut bread into 1½ inch thick slices and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with 1 ½ c milk and 2 tsp vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture over bread slices.
- If using apples, arrange on top of bread.
- Sprinkle on cinnamon, nutmeg and 2 tbsp of sugar mixture. *
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Bake toast in oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- In a small saucepan combine ½ c sugar, flour, and butter. Stir in brown sugar, ½ c milk (skim is fine) and 2 tsp vanilla. Cook until thick.
- Serve French toast on plate, pour on a little bit of warm sauce, and eat while still warm.
*The prepared dish can be covered, kept over night in the refrigerator and baked fresh in the morning for a fast and easy breakfast. Smells great and the sauce can be reheated in the microwave in less than a minute.
When Sharon Altshul not in the kitchen or shopping for food, she is leading cooking lessons for kids that stress health and science or wandering around Jerusalem taking photos for her blog, www.realjerusalemstreets.wordpress.com.Click to download