In this week’s Torah portion, the Egyptians are afflicted with the plague of darkness.
The Israelites, however, were exempt from this plague, and so were able to see freely despite being surrounded by darkness. In this week’s Torah Treats, the marshmallow represents the Israelites, who shine through and maintain their light, despite being completely encompassed by the midnight chocolate cookie.
30 mini marshmallows
2/3 c cocoa powder
2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
¾ tsp salt
1 c sugar (plus ½ c sugar for rolling)
1 c shortening
½ c brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Freeze marshmallows while preparing cookie dough.
3. Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
4. In a separate bowl, cream together the: sugar, brown sugar and Crisco. Add eggs and vanilla to sugar mixture. Beat together well.
5. Stir in the dry ingredients.
6. Roll the dough around each marshmallow, sealing it in a small ball.
7. Roll each ball in sugar.
8. Place on a cookie sheet about 1 ½ inches apart.
9. Bake at 400 for 5 minutes. Let cool. Enjoy!
Yield: 30 cookies