This soup screams protein! protein! protein! I’ve added pastrami to this bean soup to add a meaty and smoky flavor. Also, once you’ve soaked your white beans, making this soup requires no other real preparation, or any chopping, slicing or dicing! (And, as a side note, a short cooking tip: pastrami makes a great substitution in those recipes that call for bacon.)
1 ½ C white beans
4 oz smoked pastrami (plus an extra 2 oz for garnish)
5 cups chicken soup (or water with bouillon)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak the beans over night.
2. Cook the beans and pastrami in enough water to cover, until the beans are soft. Drain the water.
3. Puree the beans and pastrami.
4. Add the chicken soup/water until you get your desired thickness.
5. Fry up extra pastrami, cut into strips and garnish.