Not all latkes need to have potatoes!
1 pound of cottage or ricotta cheese
4 large eggs
¾ c all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp melted butter or sour cream
1-2 Tbsp sugar
½ tsp vanilla (can be replaced with ½ tsp cinnamon)
½ tsp salt
- Vegetable oil or butter for frying.
- In a food processor or blender, puree all ingredients.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Lightly grease with the oil or butter.
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls and fry until bubbles form on the tops and the bottoms are lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn and fry until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve accompanied with sour cream, yogurt, maple syrup, flavored butter, jam, cinnamon-sugar, or fresh fruit.
Gil Marks is the author of the new Encyclopedia of Jewish Food.
Leave A Comment