With the start of the New Year, we’re testing out your Rosh HaShana knowledge! See how much you know about ushering in the Jewish New Year.
1. How many days is Rosh HaShana?
Rosh HaShana is celebrated for two days (this year those two days lead into Shabbat so it is a three-day celebration!).
2. What dates does Rosh HaShana fall out on?
The first two days of Tishrei.
3. What are two other names for Rosh HaShana?
Yom HaDin (Day of Judgment) and Yom HaZikaron (Day of Remembrance).
4. Why do we blow a shofar on Rosh HaShana?
Many commentaries believe we blow the shofar as a wake up call, reminding us that it is time to do teshvua (repent).
5. What is a shofar made of?
Traditionally, a shofar is a ram’s horn.
6. How many blasts of the shofar are traditionally blown each day of Rosh HaShana?
7. What are the three different types of shofar blasts?
Shevarim, Teruah, Shervarim-Teruah.
8. What is the name of the prayer book used on Rosh HaShana?
9. Why do we dip apples in honey on Rosh HaShana?
So we should have a sweet year!
10. What is tashlich?
Tashlich is a prayer said on Rosh HaShana by a body of water where we symbolically cast away our sins.