Tomato, rice, hot dogs… The ultimate in comfort food. (Also known as this household’s new favorite meal!)
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
4 Tbsp tomato paste
¼ c barbecue sauce
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14.5 can diced tomatoes (if you want a smokier flavor, use the fire roasted flavored tomatoes)
2 c chicken stock
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2-3 bay leaves
4 hot dogs sliced into 1/4″ pieces
1 c cooked rice
salt and pepper to taste
1. Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil.
2. Add tomato paste and barbeque sauce and stir for 2 more minutes.
3. Add canned tomatoes and cover. Cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add chicken stock, brown sugar and bay leaves.
5. Bring soup to a boil and then simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
6. Remove bay leaves (if you can find them). Add salt and pepper.
7. Add rice. Cook for 5 more minutes