Makes 2 large or 3 medium challot
Congratulations, Gila Feinblum, our third place winner of ChallahPalooza!
2 c high gluten white flour
1 c sugar
2 envelopes of dry yeast
2 ½ c warm water
- Stir with a wooden spoon, slowly, until combined.
- Cover with Saran Wrap that has been sprayed with cooking spray on the side facing inside the bowl, and let rise in a warm place for 2 ½ hours.
2 lightly beaten eggs
1 Tbsp salt
3/4 c oil
5 1/2 c of whole wheat flour slowly while kneading all the time (This can be done with the dough hook of a Kitchenaid).
2 tbsp gluten (can be bought at specialty baking stores- and so worth it)
- Knead well with hands rubbed with a little oil until you get a ball that isn’t sticky
- Leave covered as before for 4 hours, punching down once in the middle.
- Knead into a ball.
- Divide into 6 equal portions
- Roll each into a sausage about 3cm thick
- Braid 3 together to form a challah.
- Repeat with the other 3.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with paper
- Brush with beaten egg sweetened with some honey.
- Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes