Makes 4 medium-sized challot.
Congratulations, Aliza Sussman, runner up in our ChallahPalooza!
2 bags of (shtybel #2) flour
2 c sugar
1 Tbsp salt
3/4 c oil
1 pack of fresh yeast
1 ½ – 2 cups of warm water –want good consistency
- Add the ingredients one at a time and mix by hand after each ingredient is added.
- Knead so dough is elastic and smooth.
- Cover bowl with towel-let rise to top of large bowl
- Push down and form challah shapes- let rise again for hour
- Brush with egg yolk and bake for ½ an hour at 350 (180 Celsius).
- Straight from oven brush with 1/2 cup water with 2 pinches of sugar already dissolved in it.