The secret to perfectly formed kneidlach: wet hands!
4 eggs, separated
½ c lukewarm water
1-2 c matza meal
1 tsp salt
- Have a pot of water or your pot of soup boiling on the stovetop.
- Beat egg whites with a salt until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add the yolks while mixing, slowly (again bubbe said do it with a fork)
- Slowly add ½ cup luke warm water and mix
- Slowly add matza meal with a fork, folding it in. Add until you can barely make a ball – sticky but holds it form. Because egg sizes vary this varies as well.
- Rinse your hands before shaping each matza ball. The water on your hands will keep the sticky balls from sticking to your hand.
- After you make each matza ball, drop them into your soup or water. Cover and leave on a high flame for 20 minutes.